West Point beats Columbus 42-14

Collin Brister
Sports Writer

Columbus won the coin toss on Thursday night before they took on West Point.
They deferred their option to the second half. West Point took the football to begin the game.
Three plays after Columbus kicked it off, West Point running back Chris Calvert went 67 yards for the season’s first touchdown and put the Green Wave up 7-0.
“Anytime that you can start a game off like that it’s good,” West Point head football coach Chris Chambless said of Murphy’s run. “We were able to get off to a fast start and that really put us ahead in the contest.”
It only got worse from there.
West Point’s second drive of the night was capped off when Murphy rushed around the right end for a 15-yard touchdown after the Green Wave had blocked a Columbus punt to give them great field position inside the Falcons 30-yard line.
West Point’s defense stumped the Falcons in the first half of the contest, only allowing Columbus to gain positive yardage on one of their first ten plays during the contest. Columbus only had one first down during the first half, which was via a roughing the punter penalty.
“We knew that we had a chance to be good on defense,” Chambless said. “We’re really fast on that side of the football.”
West Point took advantage consistently throughout the first half. The Green Wave scored their third, fourth and fifth touchdowns of the night on the back of senior running back Chris Calvert, who looked to be full speed after missing much of last season with a concussion.
“I told him in the locker room before the game that I wanted him to get two touchdowns,” Chambless said. “Well then he went and got three in the first half. I’m proud of the way that he ran the football.”
The Green Wave would wrap up the scoring on the night when senior wide receiver punched in a touchdown from seven yards out to put West Point up 42-0 going into the locker room for halftime.
After halftime, the Green Wave took the opportunity to get some younger players into the contest and allow them to get experience during a varsity game.
The Green Wave surrendered 14 points in the second half, and the final score would end up 42-14 moving West Point to 1-0 on the season.
The Green Wave will take to the road next week, as they’ll travel to Louisville to take on the Wildcats. West Point will return home the ensuing week to take on Starkville.