Update: Suspect in custody after Marshall Park shooting

According to Clay County Jail records, 22-year-old Lacequiu Darmar Starks is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault. A suspect is in police custody after another man shot in Marshall Park was airlifted Monday evening to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
By: 
DTL Staff
Staff Writer
A suspect is in police custody after a man was shot in Marshall Park and airlifted Monday evening to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
 
The West Point Police Department confirmed a single suspect turned themselves over to police a little before 9 p.m. Monday, but the identity of the suspect has not been released at this time. 
 
Police would not confirm the victim's name and no charges had been filed at the time of this story's publication.
 
According to Clay County Jail records, 22-year-old Lacequiu Darmar Starks is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault.
 
He was booked into the jail at 11:26 p.m. Monday and his bond set at $2 million. 
 
Police Chief Avery Cook said investigators do have a witness and were conducting interviews.
 
Few details about the shooting, how many times the man was shot or any other details were available.
 
The shooting happened on the road that runs through the center of the park to the archway entrance.
 
"It happened right there near the road, near the entrance," Cook said at about 7:45 p.m. "Even at this point, we're not sure who called 911 or any of that. We have a name and possible date of birth on the victim, but haven't confirmed anything."
 
The shooting happened just before 6 p.m.
 
This is a developing story. Follow the Daily Times Leader by checking in on this story or on Facebook and Twitter

Category: