Update: Standoff suspect still recovering

The home on Northwood Forest Road in Clay County following an extensive standoff that stretch from Thursday night into early Friday morning (Photo by Steve Rogers/Daily Times Leader)
Staff Writer

A 43-year-old Clay County man wounded during a shootout April 27 soon may be released from North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo and transferred to University Medical Center in Jackson for continued treatment of his gunshot wounds and his mental health issues.

"We're working with the medical authorities to make sure he continues to get the physical and mental care and treatment he needs. It's just sometimes not easy to get everything arranged. It's not something you can just snap your fingers and do," Sheriff Eddie Scott said of Johnny Keith Dismukes.

The 5-foot, 6, 350-pound Dismukes was shot several times just before 2 a.m. on April 27 as a joint state agency special response team moved to end what had been a 10-hour siege at 524 Northwood Forest Road, the home he shared with his mother.

Dismukes was airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center after being wounded during the exchange of gunfire with the response team made up of state officers with back up from Clay County deputies and other local officers.
He's undergone at least two rounds of surgery.

Once released from the hospital, he faces a variety of assault-related charges.His mother signed mental commitment papers on him April 25 after a lengthy discussion about potential outcomes with county officials about her son's behavior, mental stability and the fact he had at least one gun.

When Sheriff's deputies Terry Scott, Jeremy Dubois and Jordan Roberts, along with West Point Police investigators Ramirez Ivy and Eric Johnson went to check on him at about 4 p.m. April 26 at the house, Dismukes shot through the door, striking a protective shield carried by the officers as a precaution.

That precipitated the stand off that saw the special response team bring a large robot and several smaller ones they used to crash through the home's windows and even punch holes in the walls to drop in tear-gas and flash bombs.