Second kitchen fire in West Point in 24 hours

Josh Presley
News Reporter

West Point Firefighters responded to a second fire at about 1:40 a.m. Tuesday in reference to smoke coming from an apartment on Brame Avenue. Fire Chief Ken Wilbourne said the residents were not home at the time of the fire, and that no one was injured. He said the fire started from leaving something burning on the stove, which was the likely cause of the Lone Oak Fire from Monday morning, which resulted in two fatalities. Wilbourne stressed that no one should leave any stove unattended, and should ensure their smoke detectors are in good, working condition. See Wednesday's Daily Times Leader for further updates.