Mother, child died of smoke inhalation

By: 
DTL Staff
Staff Writer


A 24-year-old mother and her 16-month-old daughter both died of smoke inhalation in a fire that destroyed their apartment last week.


Clay County Coroner Alvin Carter, citing preliminary autopsy results, disclosed the causes of death Monday for Shayla C. Swain and her daughter, Serenity Cox.

Their bodies were found upstairs in their apartment at 23 Layne Drive #32 after West Point firefighters extinguished the early morning blaze Aug. 1.

Investigators think an overloaded extension cord shorted out and sparked the fire.


Shayla originally escaped the apartment with 2-year-old Trinity Cox and handed it off to the father, 23-year-old Stefon Cox, before dashing back inside and upstairs to try to save Serenity, who'd only recently returned home after undergoing surgery at LeBonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis.


The child was found in her crib and the mother next to it.
Funeral services for the mother and child are not complete.

Carter's Mortuary in West Point will be in charge.

Category: