Man indicted for shoot out with officers

Staff Writer

A 43-year-old Clay County man whose 10-hour standoff and shootout with local and state law enforcement ultimately destroyed his mother’s home and left him seriously injured is indicted on six counts of assault on a police officer.
Johnny K. Dismuke was indicted by a Clay County Grand Jury last month and was arraigned Friday during a hearing in Oktibbeha County.

Circuit Court Judge Jim Kitchens ordered Dismuke held without bond pending a hearing to determine whether he should have a mental evaluation.

Columbus attorney Rod Ray represents Dismuke.
In the meantime, he’ll remain in the Clay County Jail and continue getting treatment as he recovers from the gunshot wounds he suffered in the April 26 standoff with officers at the home he shared with his mother on Northwood Forest Road just north of the West Point city limits.

The indictment charges the 5-foot-6, 350-pound Dismuke with shooting at Clay County sheriff’s deputies Jeremy Dubois, Stephen Young, Terry Scott, Jeremy Bell, Jordan Roberts and Everett Quinn, who responded to the home first on a welfare check that eventually turned violent.

His mother signed mental commitment papers on him April 25 after a lengthy discussion about potential outcomes with county officials about her son's behavior, mental stability and the fact he had at least one gun.
When Scott, Dubois and Roberts, along with West Point Police investigators Ramirez Ivy and Eric Johnson, went to check on him at about 4 p.m. April 26 at the house at 524 Northwood Forest Road, Dismuke shot through the door, striking a protective shield carried by the officers as a precaution.

That precipitated the stand off that saw the state’s special response team bring a large robot and several smaller ones they used to crash through the home's windows and even punch holes in the walls to drop in tear-gas and flash bombs.
Dismuke and the officers ultimately ended in a shoot out in which he was injured and ultimately airlifted to a Jackson hospital for treatment and surgeries.

Just a few days after the shooting, Chancery Court Judge Jim Davidson signed an order ending the mental commitment, turning the case into a criminal matter.

In an unrelated Clay County Circuit Court case, 33-year-old Joshua Wayne Earnest has been jailed for violating the terms of his parole.
Earnest has spent the better part of the last decade battling an alcohol issue.
He was convicted of DUI in West Point Municipal Court in 2011 and 2012 and a third arrest in September 2013 left him facing a felony.

He pleaded guilty in July 2014 and was sentenced to five years with five years post release supervision.

The five years eventually was suspended but in August 2016, his suspended sentence was revoked and because he was convicted of misdemeanor drug charges, failed to report to probation officers, tested positive for marijuana, flunked out of an alcohol-treatment program and other violations.
He was paroled on Sept. 22, 2017. He was arrested this week for violating the conditions of his parole.