$500,000 bond set for West Point Deli shooting suspect

DTL Staff
Staff Writer

Bond is set at $500,000 for a teenager accused to of shooting another man in a Thursday night confrontation.

And investigators are checking whether the case was connected to a fatal shooting two weeks earlier.

West Point Municipal Court Judge Bennie Jones set the bond for Natrell Tanneric Cox following a brief arraignment and hearing Tuesday.

"Based on the nature of the charge, I'm going to set a bond at $500,000 and when your attorney is appointed, he can file a motion to reduce it," the judge told Cox, who was polite and well-spoken when responding to questions.

The judge entered a "not guilty" plea on Cox's behalf and set an Oct. 30 preliminary hearing.

He is accused of aggravated assault for shooting 27-year-old Zerrick Crawford in the upper arm and shoulder area at about 10:30 p.m. Thursday outside the West Point Deli at the intersection of North Division and Bugg streets.

Crawford has prior arrests for DUI in 2016 and for failure to appear, possession of a controlled substance and misdemeanor possession of marijuana as recently as July 25, according to online court records.

Prior to turning himself in to police Friday morning, Cox had no prior arrests and had worked for six months at Sitel, making $9.25 an hour and bringing home $600 every two weeks he told Judge Jones.

He was born in West Point and has been back here eight years after living in Killeen, Tex. for a year and Mobile, Ala., for four years, he said.
His relatives here include his grandmother and great-grandmother, two aunts and an uncle, he told the judge.
Despite rumors, it remains unclear if Thursday night's shooting was in some way related to the Aug. 19 shooting death of 26-year-old Aaron Lamont Fenton near the intersection of Fifth Street North and Progress Street.

However, investigators say Cox, who was close friends with Fenton, walked into the deli behind Crawford, who is close friends with 27-year-old Brian Bowens, the suspect in Fenton’s death. It is believed that Cox exited the deli first, and then shot Crawford when he exited the business.

Police believe the incident happened without the two men exchanging words or having any other interaction.

Police continue to search for Bowens.
Police did not discuss a motive during Cox's hearing Tuesday.